Find more of me.

Double Crochet Hack

HORIZONTALBETTERSQUARE

This is a way to clean up the edges of our double crochet squares (or rectangles). I was familiar with two ways to turn my work when working double crochet rows. You either count your beginning ch as a stitch or you don’t.
Here is a picture of my edge when NOT counting my beginning ch as a stitch:
IMG_7414
The edge is bumpy and blah.

Here is a pic of when I count my turning ch as a stitch: IMG_7415

You get those pesky little spaces, and who of us likes to work a stitch into their beginning chains?….i sure don’t : )

and here is a pic of the way that I’ve been doing it for the last couple years. I came up with this little hack when writing up the pattern for my chevron blanket. I didn’t want to crochet an edge on it but also wasn’t super happy with the edge I was getting and so I played around with the pattern a bit and found something that worked great!

IMG_7416

and here it is..it’s a simple trick but I think it works great!

Clean Edge Double Crochet

You will not count your turning chains as a stitch for this pattern.

This just means that you will always work your first st of your rows into the first st of the previous row and you will not work a stitch into the turning chain at the end of your rows.

Special Stitch:

Tiny Cluster (just a double crochet decrease worked into one stitch) – yo, insert hk into indicated st, yo and pull up a lp, yo and pull through 2, yo, insert hk into SAME st, yo and pull up a lp, yo and pull through 2, yo and pull through all remaining lps on hk.

Ch any number of dc’s +2

Row 1: dc in 3rd ch from hk and in each st across, up to last, work tiny cluster.

Row 2: Ch 2 and turn, dc in each st across, up to last, tiny cluster.

Repeat Row 2 until you like what you have.

I made this blanket:

Look at that clean edge in the Middle/Left picture! This is a pretty big blanket and would probably cover a twin bed perfectly. While working this blanket up, I learned that I crochet an average of 28 dcs/min…and so I did some math for fun. Each of the four colors is 33 rows (4×33=132) each of the 132 rows is 150 dcs (132×150=19,800 dcs) and since I work 28 dcs/min (19,800/28=707 minutes)…This blanket took me close to 12 hours to make. Scroll down to find the pattern for this blanket.

Clean Edge DC Blanket

Materials:
K hook
Worsted Weight Yarn
Scissors
Yarn Needle

Gauge: Not important

Yardage: 2,700 yards

Yarn: I used Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice.
C1 – 4 skeins of Raspberry
C2 – 4 skeins of Linen
C3 – 4 skeins of Silver Blue (love this color)
C4 – 4 skeins of Navy

Pattern Notes: Do NOT count your turning chain as a stitch for this pattern.

Special Stitch:
Tiny Cluster (just a double crochet decrease worked into on stitch) – yo, insert hk into indicated st, yo and pull up a lp, yo and pull through 2, yo, insert hk into SAME st, yo and pull up a lp, yo and pull through 2, yo and pull through all remaining lps on hk.

With C1, Ch 152
Row 1 – Working in back hump of your foundations ch, dc in 3rd ch from hk, dc in each st across up to last st, work tiny cluster in last. (150)
Row 2 – Ch 2 and turn, dc in each st across up to last st, tiny cluster in last. (150)
Row 3 through Row 33 – Repeat Row 2
With C2
Row 34 through Row 66 – Repeat Row 2
With C3
Row 67 through Row 99 – Repeat Row 2
With C4
Row 100 through Row 132 – Repeat Row 2
Fasten off and weave in all ends.

Enjoy New Blanket!

1. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

2. I have been crocheting for over 5o years, you are never too old to learn. Thank you for sharing. I like your stitch.

3. wowww.. I love the idea coz before this I had crochet baby blanket but the finishing was not very smooth just what i imagine. With this idea I think it will be great :D

Thx again.

4. Ive made 3 of the clean edge dish cloths, I cant stop myself from trying the blanket!

• Also wonder if you used cotton on the blanket? Or would that be too heavy?

• I just used acrylic. I’ve never used cotton on a blanket. I don’t think I would ever use the regular cottons like Bernat Handicrafter and Sugar n Cream on a blanket…but I bet Lion Brand Cotton Ease would be work great!

• Moogly uses cotton ease with her blackberry blanket. It is supposed to be pretty soft and has great stitch definition. She used it on a baby blanket I believe.

5. This is an awesome idea! The biggest reason I hate making blankets is the edging that is needed to hide the turns. I hope to try this soon.

6. I am not understanding this? I have been crocheting for years and have no troubles reading any pattern but this doesn’t make sense to me. Do you do the special cluster at the start and end of each row? I need a video tutorial as I like the cleaner edge.

• Hey Kathy, I’m so sorry that you’re having trouble. You just work the tiny cluster in the last st of every row : )

I hope this helps!

7. Thank you for sharing this. I guess I need to get to work on some dish towels!

8. Oooh! What a great tip… and such a lovely blanket! I want to attempt something like. Did you steam-block it to make it so nice and smooth?

Also, is that a wall full of yarn I’m seeing behind your bed? How do you ever get out of your room?

9. I’ve used this technique for hdc and trc also, it makes for a very clean edge – nice job, Mamachee :)

10. I am making a ripple baby afghan & do a 2dc decrease at end, chain 2, turn skip 1st stitch & doc. How would I do this on this pattern?

11. Will this hack work with hdc? I am making dishcloths with alternating rows of hdc and dc.

12. So, you are working the Tiny Cluster at the end of every row, and are making that INTO the top of the chain 2 from the beginning of the previous row?

13. Can this stitch be used in any pattern other than the clean edge blanket and dishcloth?

14. Thanks for figuring this out! I once ripped out an afghan because I didn’t like the holes I was getting on the edge and went back to knitting! I like clean lines so I’ll definitely give your pattern another look.

15. OMG the blanket is gorgeous and I have been wanting a better way to double crochet so I don’t have to edge EVERYTHING to cover up the ugly edges (I hate the holes so I just had ugly edges I would put a border on).

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!